Saturday, January 17, 2009

Filipino Love

Just recently I joined the Tinikling team at Quartz Hill. I got to say that dancing is becoming one of my favorite things to do. The Tinikling dance involves bamboo sticks where it is performed with dancers (people who jump over the deathly sticks) and clappers (people whose hands get clapped on when a dancer fails to jump over a stick and of course clap the sticks). Although it is pretty dangerous, it's terrifically fun and part of my culture! I'm supposed to dance like a bird in rice terraces or something but I know that a bird is much more graceful than I am. Anyhow, I was first afraid to dance with guy (on top of those moving sticks) but I think I got used to it and pretty glad I did. It's wonderful dancing with the significant other. I am also getting tuned in to my culture and am very proud of it. I have even started using Tagalog around the house. Although I have to think of what to say, I understand my parents and the various soap operas on TV. The Tinikling performance will be seen at the Multicultural Assembly on February 27th. That should be a good show because besides us there is so much more interesting culture out there.

I made Distict Honor Band I think. I am pretty excited since I miss my friends on behalf that I have been brainwashed to love Tinikling as of right now and the people in as well. (Kidding). I hope we get good music.


Finals are finally over. Again, I'm pretty happy about grades. As of now, my first semester is pretty solid and hopefully I can do better next semester because I'm afraid of the new grading system. IB isn't that bad actually.

Although I love my cat, Julius, I do miss my dogs terribly. Hah. Here's a picture of my beloved partner. I talk to this cutie when I have no one else to talk to. (which is often.)

I will be getting to Tinikling practice soon. I should get ready. Hah, I'm so lame for loving this so much. Happy Day!

Oh and thanks so much to Julia for the Angels and Airwaves CDs. It's amazing.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Sheena!
Oh?! Who's your Tinikling partner?! Isn't Tinikling fun (although I was a clapper when I did it...)?
Oh, District Honor band! How exciting! :]

Sheena said...

Haha,thanks Tiffany! I am pretty excited for band. :D

I actually don't know who I am working with. I just work with any guy as of right now. It is heck of a lot of fun. I tried clapping b/c we were still waiting for people. It was pretty cool. I can't give eye contact at all to the guy in front of me. Partly because I still have to look where I am jumping and that I'm afraid to. Haha. But boy...I love it. Couples dancing. hehe.

Tiffany said...

Do you know what kind of music you'll be playing for the District Honor Band?

Oh well. You should tell me when you find out. Tinikling is so much fun... I miss it. I would be scared of dancing... it takes so much coordination and multitasking. I was happy with just clapping (although I did smash my fingers a few times) lol.

Sheena said...

Oh man I know it's so dangerous! Haha I haven't got hurt...yet. It's rather surprising. It looks painful to get clapped on. I've messed up so many times.

Hmmm Well they gave us the Washington Post March, Arioso by Back, and I forgot the title of that other song. We practiced these for the audition. I don't even know when it starts or what music just yet haha. I will tell you asap though.

I couldn't get the dancing part for a while. I was afraid to try. Magically the next day I started doing it. I can't even explain it. hahah. I'm so glad and grateful I get to do it.

Sheena said...

wow *Bach